Carved wood (alstonia), natural pigments, shell
Heigth: 11 ½ in. (29.5 cm)
Collected by Frigate Captain Rudolph Brosch in 1894
during the Austrian Imperial Expedition in the South Seas (1893-1895)
Thence by descent in the Brosch family
This rare and imposing mask was field-collected by Austrian Fregat Captain Rudolph Brosch in 1894. A year earlier, Captain Brosch had been asked to join the Austrian Imperial Expedition to the South Seas (1893-1895) under Commander Elder von Adamowicz on the three-masted S.M.S. Corvette “Fasana”.
A total of 55 objects collected in New Ireland during the Expedition later joined the collections of the Natural History Museum (Naturhistorisches Hofmuseum) in Vienna while a small selection of artworks, including this mask, had remained in the Brosch family collection by descent for over 125 years.